Whether you love winter or you hate it, there’s no denying that ice and snow can take a physical toll on your belongings. How can you protect your personal property? Do you have a house, a boat, a car, or a motorcycle that needs winter-proofing?
Here’s our list of top tips for each.
Item #1: Your House
They say that your house is your castle. Here are some ways that you can make your house winter-ready:
- Make sure your furnace and your heating systems are ready to go
- Trim and prune any tree branches that look like potential hazards
- Update or upgrade your home insurance so that you have the coverage you need in a worst-case scenario
Item #2: Your Car
Your exact course of action will depend on whether you’re driving your car this winter or you’re storing it.
If you’re storing your vehicle:
- Fill up your gas tank
- Get a protective cover
- Consider adding more air to your tires to combat deflation
If you’re planning to drive your vehicle:
- Use winter tires for maximum safety
- Make sure you have a working plugin if you park outdoors
- Keep booster cables and window scrapers in the car
Whether you’re storing your car or you’re driving it this winter, you’ll also want to make sure that you have adequate auto insurance.
Item #3: Your Boat
There’s nothing better than having a seaworthy vessel during boating season. Here’s your boat winterization checklist:
- Take out the battery
- Clean and wipe down the inside of your boat
- Make sure your boat insurance policy is up to date before summer
Item #4: Your Cottage
If you want to keep your property in good shape, then you’ll want to consider these winterization tips:
- Install an alarm system to protect against thieves
- Don’t leave water sitting in your pipes during the colder months
- Take out a new cottage insurance policy or renew your current one if you haven’t
Item #5: Your Motorcycle
If you want to feel the wind in your hair next spring, you may want to take these steps to keep your motorcycle safe during the winter:
- Take out the battery
- Fill up exhaust pipes to discourage insects from making themselves at home
- Cover your motorcycle to protect it from the elements
- Have a motorcycle insurance policy that fits your needs
Are You Ready for Winter This Year?
Some years, it seems like winter has taken everyone by surprise. Whether you’re a motorcyclist, a homeowner, or the proud owner of a boat, there are steps you can take to keep your property protected during the colder months. How’s that for winter-ready?